Friday, October 28, 2011

This is how I feel today

I met Louise Bourgeois 10 years ago in her studio and at her home. It's a long story as to how I got there, but a bunch of us from Columbus were chosen because the Wexner Center gave her a prize of lots of money and she was too old to come and get it. So we got a studio tour and sat in her house and showed her slides of our work. She was quite old even then, and couldn't see the slides of our work very well. Her only critique of my work was to say, " finally, here is some good work about love. Love is the only thing worth talking about in this way." And that was it. It was nice because the other grads there had made more "acceptable" work according to our local  crits in grad school, she was sitting there railing them for what their work was about,  and yet my work was approved by this wonderful old amazing artist immediately. She sat in awe of my paintings and even giggled. That was the best day.

Today I feel like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment